MacBook Time Machine

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

MacBook Time Machine

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:35 am

Although I am perfectly fine tweaking Windoze machines what I know about MacBooks can be written on the head of a pin with a pneumatic drill.

Mrs O has a MacBook Pro and the Time Machine is taking an inordinate length of time to run. From memory the whole machine is around 80gb but Time Machine is taking something like 12 hours to make a new backup to the NAS. Its almost like its being throttled back. In comparison Acronis on my W10 pc can make a similar backup in less than an hour.

All wirelessly connected with 5gHz.

Any thoughts?
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

apye

Re: MacBook Time Machine

Post by apye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:19 am

Morning James,

I had the same problem with my daughters MacBook Pro and like you know very little about them! :D

I followed this procedure from a google search and it fixed the problem:

Go to the Time Machine menu or system preferences and stop the current backup. Open the Time Machine disk, go to the "Backups.backupdb" folder, and remove the file that ends with ".inProgress" as its suffix. ... Manually initiate a backup from the Time Machine menu, if one does not begin automatically.

What happens is the current back up file gets corrupted and so does not back up correctly.
Hope this helps. :smt023
ATB Andy.
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks Andy. Once her Migraine has passed we'll have a play and let you know how things progress.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Hmmm, theres no file with that name in the Time Machines destination disk :smt017
James

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:50 pm

I have been on 'Live Chat' with APPLE for the best part of 2 hours, and still not much further forward. They had no idea why it was taking so much time to backup, so I have created a new account and backing up to with TM from there. It seems quicker, but so far its taken ~2hr to back up <20 GB. Still far too slow IMHO
James

apye

Post by apye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Sorry to hear that James.

I back up to a 128Gb memory stick and it takes on average about 1 hour using the manual back up option.
I will do one later and see how long it takes and what the file names are etc...

Looking at the stick now I have a folder which is the name of the MacBook and then inside that 7 folders named with the dates and a 6 figure number.
There is also a folder named Latest.
I think when you are doing a back up that is when you will see a folder .InProgress which is the one you have to delete.
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 pm

The 'amount backedup' reduced to 14 GB after 2.5 hours. It was never going to complete so I have just killed it.

In comparison I have just used Acronis to make a new backup of my W10 Laptop. 44.9 GB backed up in 16 min. Thats what TM SHOULD be doing IMHO

Back to Apple tomorrow I guess
James

apye

Post by apye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm

When you 'killed' the back up did you then have the InProgress folder in your back up folder location?

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Nope. Its making less and less sense to me. I think I have even confused those at Apple
James

apye

Post by apye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 20.13.45.png
This is what I get while backing up, notice the InProgress file...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer