Linn pumps up R&D

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderator: The Kurators

FangfossFlyer

Linn pumps up R&D

Post by FangfossFlyer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:07 pm

From The Scotsman 21st November 2019:

Linn Products, the Scottish high-end audio brand whose products are among the highest rated in the world, has warned of “challenging” European markets after posting a six-figure loss for the year.

The firm, which earlier this year agreed a £1 million funding package with Barclays, recorded a loss before tax of £636,000, according to its newly published accounts, compared with a profit of £872,000 a year earlier.

Turnover in the latest period, covering the year to the end of June, came in at just over £15.7m, marking a 3.8 per cent decrease on the previous year.

The group said it continued to make significant investments into research and development, totalling almost £2.4m, an increase of £325,000.

The privately-owned firm, which operates from a state-of-the-art factory at Waterfoot, on the outskirts of Glasgow, has invested heavily in music streaming technology, having made the switch from CD-based disc players some time ago.

During the year, the group’s total headcount nudged up to 171.

Managing director Gilad Tiefenbrun, said: "Trading conditions continue to be challenging reflecting consumer uncertainty, particularly in European markets. By continuing to invest in R&D we are building the skills, capability and products that will continue to delight our customers for years to come.

"Our latest innovation, Series 3, is the culmination of nearly 50 years of audio innovation and Scottish precision engineering, driven by our unwavering passion for music. Offering high performance audio quality combined with the convenience of wireless, Series 3 will change expectations of what wireless speakers are capable of."
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

evil_C

Re: Linn pumps up R&D

Post by evil_C » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:39 pm

It's intriguing how he blames consumer uncertainty in European markets when, surely, those in European markets have benefitted from the weakening value of Sterling due to uncertainty in the UK. Wouldn't this have made UK based products more attractive to European consumers?

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:15 pm

xss_poo :smt045
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Linn Majik I Integrated Dynamik.
CD Player - Linn Majik CD.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.

LD100

Post by LD100 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:03 pm

I wonder if any of that research investment money will go toward the LP12? :roll:

Maybe they could try to get the parts to last longer? :smt017

Oh, wait...my original parts 41 year old LP12 wants to make a point of order...
they already did that the first time around. :smt005 :smt045 :smt023
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

arm

Post by arm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:40 am

Valhalla ( with a few bits replaced) going strong at 34 y.o. Same with the top plate, mains cord, plinth, motor and dust cover, everything else replaced via upgrade.

Lanark

Post by Lanark » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:15 pm

The economy is on a bit of a downturn but I wonder how much of this is due to Linn unceremonially ditching the forum, all those thousands of dead links is going to hurt the google ranking of the linn website for years to come.

And for existing users looking to upgrade, I for one would never have spent a 4 figure sum on upgrades if not for all the advice available on the old forum.

Giant own goal on Linn's part
Turntable - Fluted Walnut LP12, Cirkus, Kore, trampolin, Ittok LVII, Lingo 4, Krystal.
Amplifier - Arcam A32.
Speakers - Spendor S-3/5.
CD Player - Linn Genki.
Tuner - Quad FM 4 (with output stage mod.)
Cables - Naim NAC A4.
Support - Sound Organisation.

The Kaptain
Site Admin

Post by The Kaptain » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Lanark wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:15 pm
<snip> but I wonder how much of this is due to Linn unceremonially ditching the forum, all those thousands of dead links is going to hurt the google ranking of the linn website for years to come.<snip>
Not only closing the board, but deleting all of the useful information it contained. Getting rid of the 'off topic' stuff and leaving the rest 'read only' would have made far more sense and would have cost nothing but half a days time for one person.
The man with the big stick

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 pm

More hot air than this guy. :smt005
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Linn Majik I Integrated Dynamik.
CD Player - Linn Majik CD.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer