HUUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

wiltshireman

HUUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!

Post by wiltshireman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 pm

:( :( :( Tonight I thought I would play some vinyl so I power up the Lingo3 and selected a disc but when I switched the LP12 on a sever hum emanated from my speakers. I know a poor earth can do this so I checked just about everything over but found nothing wrong. I even took the base board off and checked inside but nothing out of place. I checked out the phonostage but I could find nothing wrong with that but I do not have anything to swap in to eliminate where the problem is. I even plugged into another socket just in case but to no avail. I put it all on the kitchen worktop and checked everything through again and still nothing though the LP12 seems to run ok on both speeds but when I re connected the hum is still there so it looks like a phone call to Peter in the morning to arrange a trip so he can sort out the problem.

Looks like its the Akurate ds tonight instead.
Linn Keltik's, aktive LK100's x4, LP12, Simon Price oak plinth, Lingo3, black Ittok with silver heavy weight, Linn T arm cable, DV 20XII + Infinity and Cirkus bearing, Arcam Rphono + Russ Andrews power supply, Akurate DSII, Inneos Zen mini server. Loads of Chord cables.

LD100

Re: HUUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!

Post by LD100 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:39 am

My sincerest condolences on the current issues with your hi-fi...always very sad to hear of problems with music systems. :(

If things played fine the last time you used the LP12, and the hum just started the next time you turned on the LP12, I would look sternly at the phono stage and it's corresponding input at your pre amp...most unfortunate that you don't have another phono stage to swap in. :smt017

Best of luck with Peter, he will get things sorted! :smt023
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 am

Hi LD100.
I have of course looked at the phonostage as far as I am able but all that is visible is fine. I have just set it all up out of my rack and it is all working ok, it did this last night and when I put it all back the problem returned. Its without doubt a poor earth connection somewhere so I have to do more investigating before I trouble Peter but I have to go out this morning so it will have to wait till later.
Linn Keltik's, aktive LK100's x4, LP12, Simon Price oak plinth, Lingo3, black Ittok with silver heavy weight, Linn T arm cable, DV 20XII + Infinity and Cirkus bearing, Arcam Rphono + Russ Andrews power supply, Akurate DSII, Inneos Zen mini server. Loads of Chord cables.

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:16 am

Know it may be basic stuff so apologies if you have already checked but I have on occasion had a cartridge tag/wire touching or indeed Broken.
Worth a check.
Lp12, Ekos se, radikal, kore, Krystal, Trampoline 2
and Mr Swains fairy dust.
Nap250,Nac82,High cap plus other Naim black and olive.
Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth, I want to be ready.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 pm

I'd check the cartridge connections as well. Anything and everything from the tags to the phone pre input. Broken 'cold' wires can do this, as can the TT ground it self. Try just grounding the TT to a ground point with length of wire (checking the TT ground connection to see if its broken)

Unplug the TT from the phono. There should be hiss but no (or very little) hum.

Is it equal on both channels?
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi All,
I spoke to Peter this morning who has given me a check list which I am still going through. Firstly the hum is only on the right hand side and is affected by the volume control. When I swap the arm leads into the phono the hum is on the left and if I swap into the preamp instead it is on the left also I have failed to find anything amiss so I am going to take it down to my b in l tonight who has a very similar set up to mine though his phono in inside his preamp so I should be able to eliminate things and then I can go from there. I have been around this hobby of ours for many years and thought from the start it is an earth problem but I have never come across anything as difficult to track down as this. One thing I have discovered is that when I do start the motor and a loud hum starts straight away after a few seconds it stops though there is a very low frequency and far quieter hum that remains. I still think the fault is inside the LP12 somewhere but with luck tonight I will track it down.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Best to check all the earth connections although if it's only the deck on one channel it might be worth looking at the cartridge tag wires. :shock:
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Linn Majik I Integrated Dynamik.
CD Player - Linn Majik CD.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.

wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:23 pm

A catch up on my earth hum is that I have failed to identify where the problem is. I have had the base board off and can see nothing wrong at all. Nothing is loose or hanging but the hum is still there. I have swapped my Lingo 3, my preamp and even the phonostage and interconects but not the LP12 which is where the problem seems to be. I have stopped it happening at least as a temporary measure by putting a cable from one of the base board screws to the earth terminal on the rear of the Lingo but this isn't a permanent 'repair' but it will suffice until next year when I will take it to Peter to sort out. A friend was going to bring his LP12 over last night but the weather was atrocious so that will happen but I don't know when yet but I will report back as to any results. If it happens with his then it will point to the Lingo umbilical cable as he has a Valhala control which means the Lingo will not be used. I have of course checked the Lingo cable but nothing. This has been the most frustrating time for me having spent several days swapping things left right and centre, thinking it this and then that. The hum actually went away by itself for one evening but was back the next morning. My B in L is an electrician and he has checked out the whole house and every mains cable I own but he found nothing at all wrong.

Its all very odd.
Last edited by wiltshireman on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Broken ground wire within the Lingo's Umbilical? Thats what comes to mind as adding a secondary ground removes it.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Mr onion. The only problem with that is how did it get broken? I have never stepped on it or yanked it and there s the issue that when I have tested it for continuity it reads perfect. I took off the one plug and that looked absolutely perfect. At one point I thought that a repair I had done to the arm earth tag was the culprit but of course it wasn't, that would have been too easy. An erratic problem is always the most difficult to trace for obvious reasons. As and when I do get up to Peter I will take everything with me just in case it is in the phonostage or Lingo, you never know.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer