Spotify

Where would we be without the music?

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

Scooter

Spotify

Post by Scooter »

I have a love/hate relationship with streaming but today I think Spotify in these time are taking the proverbial. It is reported that they are going to be paying £82 million for the Joe Rogan (never heard of him) podcast. At a times when musicians are struggling I find that abhorrent.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52736364
“We've got to stay strong, we’ve got to stay home, and stay together, and settle on the fact that it's probably going to be a pretty long walk home.” Bruce Springsteen April 2020

evil_C

Re: Spotify

Post by evil_C »

I too have a love/hate relationship with streaming. I only use Qobuz, which is now available on the new Naim platforms. I love the fact that it gives me access to such a massive library of music, much of it in high resolution, up to 24/192. There are, however, two hates for me: 1) my broadband is so flakey that I cannot use the highest resolution (I’m limited to 24/96 and then only when I’m lucky); and, 2) because I haven’t committed to relying on it as a sole source, it leads me to buy a lot more CDs to store on my own server!

On the whole though, even a 16/44.1 stream from Qobuz sounds pretty convincing. Not as good as music streamed from my own server, but on the whole I find it better than vinyl.

Scooter

Re: Spotify

Post by Scooter »

I'm guessing you live in a rural setting. When I started downloading I was with Virgin and it used to take nearly 2 hours to download an album and even streaming Spotify was hit and miss. Then one morning an old friend knocked for a cup of tea and a catch up as he was installing BT next door. He told me that BT (who he worked for) had just installed fibre optic to our area. So got talking and he logged on to the router to show me the difference. So I switched and couldn't believe the difference. Two to four minutes to download an album. We have friends who only live about a mile or so from here and they are only just getting it now. He can't wait. My daughter was the same, the village she lives in only got it about three or four years ago. I remember doing some work on her house and I had to take an old radio because I couldn't even stream the radio that good. Then one day I had my iPad with me and noticed a wifi BTWiFi-with-fon, which I believe (I may be wrong) is basically someone else's router that you can use but without the security as long as you have a BT account. Her husband switched straight away. The one tip I did get from my dealer, which I still adhere to, is I always download, be it updates or albums, by ethernet cable and wifi for control.
“We've got to stay strong, we’ve got to stay home, and stay together, and settle on the fact that it's probably going to be a pretty long walk home.” Bruce Springsteen April 2020

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer