Linn Turntable New Developments

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 10675
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by Coyote Jim »

When looking at the new engineered products especially Karousel the old top plate definitely makes a serious level deck seem very garden shed.
I wish Linn would do better.
It must be cost effective to do something new considering I’ve seen many rejected top plates being returned to suppliers.
A ha'porth of tar, and all that. :roll:
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.
User avatar
vincent
Full Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by vincent »

Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:24 pm When looking at the new engineered products especially Karousel the old top plate definitely makes a serious level deck seem very garden shed.
I wish Linn would do better.
It must be cost effective to do something new considering I’ve seen many rejected top plates being returned to suppliers.
A ha'porth of tar, and all that. :roll:
Ah yes, the top plate – I solved that problem a while back with TP Stratos (don't know if still available, but I'm very happy with mine). Blends nicely with the KDSM hub :smt020
Image
LP12 (Tiger Paw Stratos, sKale; Karousel, Keel, KRadikal, Ekos SE, Exakt 2, Lyra Kleos SL); Exakt DSM; Exakt Akubariks 2.
User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 10675
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by Coyote Jim »

vincent wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:24 pm When looking at the new engineered products especially Karousel the old top plate definitely makes a serious level deck seem very garden shed.
I wish Linn would do better.
It must be cost effective to do something new considering I’ve seen many rejected top plates being returned to suppliers.
A ha'porth of tar, and all that. :roll:
Ah yes, the top plate – I solved that problem a while back with TP Stratos (don't know if still available, but I'm very happy with mine). Blends nicely with the KDSM hub :smt020
Image

Hi Vincent
Great ideas and looks great I just wish linn would do it.
Unfortunately TP products are no longer available unless second hand now. :roll:
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.
User avatar
vincent
Full Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by vincent »

Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:13 pm
vincent wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:24 pm When looking at the new engineered products especially Karousel the old top plate definitely makes a serious level deck seem very garden shed.
I wish Linn would do better.
It must be cost effective to do something new considering I’ve seen many rejected top plates being returned to suppliers.
A ha'porth of tar, and all that. :roll:
Ah yes, the top plate – I solved that problem a while back with TP Stratos (don't know if still available, but I'm very happy with mine). Blends nicely with the KDSM hub :smt020
Image

Hi Vincent
Great ideas and looks great I just wish linn would do it.
Unfortunately TP products are no longer available unless second hand now. :roll:
Dug this out from another forum, 'Machined From Solid Aluminium' (per David Williamson):

'We did (try that) at the same time we developed the Ekos SE, and the Keel. So about 9 years ago. I had 4 of them built, with different amounts of aluminium machined away. Ivor was gifted one for one of his birthdays (65th I think), and I still have 3 in my possession. We didn't feel the improvement was worth the money as an upgrade, and there was bigger bang for buck to be had elsewhere. It did do something interesting, and sounded different, but perhaps not better.'
This statement is ambiguous: one interpretation being 'different but not better', the other 'better but not practicable' due to cost/v.f.m. Either way, I can't believe the current plinth/top plate are forever.
LP12 (Tiger Paw Stratos, sKale; Karousel, Keel, KRadikal, Ekos SE, Exakt 2, Lyra Kleos SL); Exakt DSM; Exakt Akubariks 2.
User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 10675
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by Coyote Jim »

vincent wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:01 pm
Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:13 pm
vincent wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:24 pm When looking at the new engineered products especially Karousel the old top plate definitely makes a serious level deck seem very garden shed.
I wish Linn would do better.
It must be cost effective to do something new considering I’ve seen many rejected top plates being returned to suppliers.
A ha'porth of tar, and all that. :roll:
Ah yes, the top plate – I solved that problem a while back with TP Stratos (don't know if still available, but I'm very happy with mine). Blends nicely with the KDSM hub :smt020
Image

Hi Vincent
Great ideas and looks great I just wish linn would do it.
Unfortunately TP products are no longer available unless second hand now. :roll:
Dug this out from another forum, 'Machined From Solid Aluminium' (per David Williamson):

'We did (try that) at the same time we developed the Ekos SE, and the Keel. So about 9 years ago. I had 4 of them built, with different amounts of aluminium machined away. Ivor was gifted one for one of his birthdays (65th I think), and I still have 3 in my possession. We didn't feel the improvement was worth the money as an upgrade, and there was bigger bang for buck to be had elsewhere. It did do something interesting, and sounded different, but perhaps not better.'
This statement is ambiguous: one interpretation being 'different but not better', the other 'better but not practicable' due to cost/v.f.m. Either way, I can't believe the current plinth/top plate are forever.
Image
Yes Vincent this is the very item perhaps at the time they didn’t think anyone would pay thousands for a plinth but it seems that some will so never say never. :smt018 8) :smt023
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.
User avatar
evil_C
Full Member
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 am

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by evil_C »

The TP plinth is indeed no longer available, but there is still the (better, in my view) Tangerine Audio Stiletto. Chris D has one, I believe. Alternatively there’s the Tangerine Karmen top plate, which can be fitted to a wooden plinth.
User avatar
Wenge1
Queue Moderator
Posts: 7790
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by Wenge1 »

Dr_Eddie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:58 pm The part left is the extremely crappy and bendy stainless steel top plate. Getting rid of that should have been the next priority.
Listen to a Karmen against a SS top plate, everything else being the same.
No contest. SS is dead in the water.
Well, well, welcome back Eddie lovely to see you posting again. Since I have a Karmen I obviously agree with you ........ :smt023
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Triangle Magellan Duetto on Track Audio 600 stands
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Kudos KS-1 speaker cable
.
User avatar
Wenge1
Queue Moderator
Posts: 7790
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by Wenge1 »

evil_C wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:38 am Alternatively there’s the Tangerine Karmen top plate, which can be fitted to a wooden plinth.
It certainly is ................. :smt023
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Triangle Magellan Duetto on Track Audio 600 stands
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Kudos KS-1 speaker cable
.
User avatar
vincent
Full Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by vincent »

evil_C wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:38 am The TP plinth is indeed no longer available, but there is still the (better, in my view) Tangerine Audio Stiletto. Chris D has one, I believe. Alternatively there’s the Tangerine Karmen top plate, which can be fitted to a wooden plinth.

Here's a link back to the thread on the TA Stiletto vs TP Stratos, which explains why I opted for the Stratos having had both on home dem. I know that since this discussion in 2019 Chris has bought the Stiletto (but I haven't seen anything on here or elsewhere on how that choice was made, whether A/B with Stratos, or if Stratos was by that time no longer available) :smt020


vincent @ Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto
LP12 (Tiger Paw Stratos, sKale; Karousel, Keel, KRadikal, Ekos SE, Exakt 2, Lyra Kleos SL); Exakt DSM; Exakt Akubariks 2.
User avatar
evil_C
Full Member
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 am

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by evil_C »

Wenge1 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:31 am
evil_C wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:38 am Alternatively there’s the Tangerine Karmen top plate, which can be fitted to a wooden plinth.
It certainly is ................. :smt023
Funnily enough, it is here too! :D :smt023
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer